About Me

I want to share with the world my experiences of living a life sandwiched between Canada and India. Life might be crazy at your end, but I bet you will be amused by what I get to see often.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

one of my many grievances

I love travelling and most of all, I love travelling in India-a giant of a nation. Amidst the narrow alleyways and loud music and gawking eyes of men looking at me like I'm a piece of meat ready to be chowed down--life might seem hectic but it is life as usual. The music part is my best, if I could, I will be dancing all day; dancing my way down to college and then down home and then down to work. But oh! my! then the gawking eyes might really presume me to be that fleshy piece of meat...ahem! perhaps, not such a good idea after all -scratch that please!
Life in DILLI is tough for a young woman- no matter how covered you are with your clothing and then a bag and then a big book, you are a piece of meat nonetheless. Wearing a traditional salwar kameez doesn't make you less vulenarable than the girl who is wearing jeans and a short tee; actually what I have noticed is that a salwar-kameez wearing girl sometimes gets a look that says "she's an easy target-traditional type girl, probably doens't know much' "grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!" that's what my look is saying at that precise moment. I hate this aspect- and stare at the gawking eyes to make my point clear-that I'm non-veg as well. seriously...it IS a dog-eat-dog world kinda...but we are humans...so human-eat-human pathways of DILLI.

I stand against such nuisances of society- if you stare at me, I'll stare back! I might even come up to you and ask what's the matter, not in a rude manner but as if we are pals. Watch out you stinking, crotch-scratching, licking-your-lips-at-the-sight-of-a-girl, making provacative gestures MAN.
Of course, no hard feelings but you must change! India is changing, so must you...

2 comments:

  1. This is a cross culture difference Samrita. have you heard a flower complaining ? why are people staring at me ?

    why meat ? i am not defending men or the Indians. This is natural attraction. You are not a piece of meat if you ignore the surroundings. If you are self conscious you will feel like a piece of meat. India is bitter and sweet. A land of extremes. India has problems. Big problems. Treating women as objects is a global problem. More in the west. Indians are over sensitive and the most insensitive. Equality for women is a distant dream. i have written a lot about it in Daylight Again Samrita.

    There is some charm in chaotic life. Have you noticed how boring the highly organised, well rehearsed weddings are ? our weddings are chaotic and very charming. India is like a big chaotic wedding. tragedy, injustice, atrocity, joy ecstasy, everything happening under one roof at the same time

    i am not a big fan of Bollywood movies but i loved Delhi6. i love old Delhi. Chandini chowk area.

    you do magic with words Samrita. One day you will be a great writer you already are. you will be famous. i wish you all the imagination and creativity in the world, you already have it Samrita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ rauf - thank you soooooooooooo much for your comments on all the posts! You give me a lot of courage and that song made me feel good.
    Thank for putting a smile on my face :)
    btw...I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete